The Division of Diversity and Opportunity works with Louisiana high schools and universities to help students learn about the insurance industry and acquire the education necessary to secure employment. The Division's initiatives include:
Implementing the InVEST program in high schools and colleges to provide a hands-on approach for students and expose them to the variety of careers in the insurance industry.
- Working with Southern University in New Orleans and Baton Rouge, Xavier University, Grambling University and Dillard University to encourage students to pursue an insurance career and employment with insurance agencies to gain experience in the profession.
- Providing educational training, seminars and programs to assist small, minority and disadvantaged producers and persons in the insurance industry with obtaining contracts and employment.
Through the InVEST program in classrooms, high school and college students learn about risk management, auto, homeowners, life, and health insurance in an interactive environment. They get to run their own business, sell and service insurance policies in a mock setting.
InVEST is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to improving insurance literacy of students and attracting new talent to the industry. To learn more, please view the InVest PowerPoint presentation here.
Southern University Insurance Program
The Louisiana Department of Insurance, through the Division of Diversity and Opportunity, has parnered with Southern University and Agricultural and Mechanical College to create the Insurance Program within the College of Business. The Southern University Insurance Program:
- Allows students in the College of Business and other disciplines to take courses in insurance & receive a concentration in insurance (12 hours credit).
- Prepares students to be hired in the industry by insurance companies in their corporate offices and operations centers, regulatory agencies or other entities involved in insurance.
- Provides internship opportunities for students in the program where they can gain firsthand experience in the industry.
The Southern University Insurance Program consists of two components, Academic and Non-Academic:
- The Academic component is designed for students enrolled at Southern University.
- The Non-Academic component creates opportunities for the general public to receive training.
Click here to view the Careers in Insurance and Finance Seminar
Click here to visit the Southern University Concentration in Insurance website
Southern University Insurance Program Contact Information:
Dr. Ghirmay S. “Dr. G” Ghebreyesus, Chair-Department of Economics & Finance